The targets for additional lining are mixed with targets of 20 years old. These watercourses will be decided with set criteria and defined approval procedures. The maximum limit for additional lining of watercourses would be up to 50 percent of total length of watercourses.
Execution procedure for additional lining
Following procedure would be adopted for carrying out additional lining on already improved watercourses.
- The yearly target of each district will be fixed by the Project Steering Committee (PSC) at the start of each financial year on the basis of improved watercourses and work load in each district;
- The OFWM staff will mobilize WUAs/shareholders for active participation in improvement works. Already registered WUA will be reactivated/ reorganized for the purpose or new WUA will be registered if required;
- The OFWM field staff will conduct engineering surveys of the command area and prepare a complete case including inventory of previously executed works and that planned to be covered under the NPIWC-II.
- The DDA (OFWM)/Consultants will submit inventory of the watercourses including total length, already completed works as well as planned, cost incurred, project name etc. on a prescribed proforma to the Directorate General Agriculture (WM) for checking/ verification/up-dation of water management database system;
- An output-based agreement will be signed with WUA wherein, roles and responsibilities of both the parties will be defined;
- An account will be opened in a Commercial Client with the authorization of DDA (OFWM) to be operated jointly by Chairman and Treasurer of WUA recommended and each transaction will be regulated/ authorized by ADA (OFWM) through an advice along with cheque issued by authorities.
- The WUA will collect the required farmers’ share as per approved cost sharing mechanism and arrange execution of works under its supervision including maintenance of already lined section of the watercourse;
- The OFWM staff will provide technical assistance to WUA for execution of the watercourse works by making the frequent visits at sites to ensure that same is being carried out as per prescribed standards/ specifications;
- On recommending the third installment of payment, the consultant will submit certified FCRs along with Takmeli certificate to the DGA (OFWM) for up-dation of the database records.
Selection / Eligibility criteria
The procedures for new watercourses and for 20 years old have been kept the same in the project. In case of additional lining, they are different to some extent. Therefore, they are taken up separately. In order to ensure execution of additional works on already improved watercourses, following transparent selection criteria will be adopted:
- The WUAs agrees to:
- repair/ rehabilitate the already lined section;
- maintain earthen section of the watercourse for efficient flow of irrigation water;
- extend lining up to possible limits;
- contribute Farmers’ share; and
- provide litigation free right of way
- Sections of watercourse eligible for extension of lining will be based on following criteria:
- Head reaches, (if left unlined under earlier programs), portions having maximum usage and flows;
- Elevated sections susceptible to leakage, over topping, and spillage;
- Portion of watercourse crossing/ passing through/ along villages/ roads; and
- Sections having sandy/ porous soils.